On Saturday, Dec 15th from 4pm - 6pm we had an administrative meeting to discuss core organizational issues and share information on statistics from other Makerspaces. We had thirteen members in attendance, many of whom had participated in the Junk Jam just prior to the meeting.
The meeting was chaired by Tom Tongue, and the powerpoint from the meeting can be found at:
There was audio and video recordings of the meeting, but with the powerpoint above, all that is really needed is the audio portion of the program, which can be downloaded from:
The main points of business that were conducted were:
- Selecting a formal name for the organization. Out of the dozen or so names under consideration, the name "Capital District Makerspace" was selected as the public name of the group. A discussion of whether to use a second name for legal paperwork was tabled for later.
- A quick anonymous survey of what people were willing to pay on a monthly basis for their "ideal Makerspace". Answers ranged from $5 to $100 in a fairly uniform distribution of numbers.
- A discussion of what our priorities should be in terms of Community Building, Establishing a Physical Makerspace, and Projects. The general consensus was that all were important and synergistic, with a strong push for making a Physical Makerspace a reality.
- A discussion about what "Phase I" of the Makerspace should consist of. The general sentiment was that the space should allow people to share tools and have a space where people can use those tools. The space access does not have to be 24/7 to start, since most people are going to want to use it within the usual "free-time" confines of evenings and weekends.
- Elections for a Board of Directors and officers was tabled so that nominations for those positions could be done online. The actual voting for the elections would take place at the next administrative meeting, which will be scheduled in the next week.
- Two committees were formed:
- Space & Funding Committee - charged with gathering information and recommendations regarding Makerspace locations, operations and related issues, and how to fund those operations.
- Events Committee - in charge of organizing general meetings, classes, workshops and special events like Junk Jam or a Mini Maker Faire.
- Meeting Adjourned on time at 6pm.
If you have any questions, comments, revisions or concerns about the meeting, please post below!